Family

Family
The Reason I do what I do!!!

Monday, April 18, 2011

Parents, pack your kids lunches...PLEASE!!!!

It has obviously been a few days since my last post.  My last few weeks have been crazy.  Sharon and I are getting ready to move, I had a weekend seminar for my Crossfit Kids certification, and keeping things going for the Crossfit sectionals has been a blast...  Despite all of these awesome things going on there is something that has always bothered me but has come to life a little more and I would love to know how to combat it.

School lunches.  We send our kids off to school under the assumption that they will be taken care of there.  I know that kids will be kids, and they will undoubtedly get hurt at some point, that is not what I am talking about here.  This is about the garbage that they feed our children.  My boys are not in school yet so this is not about my kids but yours might be.  The crap that they are fed is insane, its no wonder our children are getting fatter, and fatter.  Dont get me wrong its not the schools fault, its ours for letting it be there and then taking our kids home and feeding them more crap.  School lunches should be healthy and nutritious, even if its not up to what I would say is healthy but at least what the general consensus of healthy is would be a great start.  They are not even close... Here is two days of school lunch at a local high school that  I work at..


Today’s Lunch:  Nachos, salsa, refried beans, fruit and milk
Lunch tomorrow:  Bosco Bread Sticks, Pizza Sauce, juice, pudding and milk

You have got to be kidding me. This is ridiculous.  All those out there involved in fitness know this is not a healthy life style... I know there may be "other options" out there, but what about the kids who's mom and dad can only afford the basic lunch?  Lets educate people on proper nutrition and maybe when mom and dad get it straight the schools will too.

3 comments:

  1. Kudos, Ryan! Even the "healthy option" at my former high school was a far cry from healthy. Not to mention, there were only two or three revolving choices, so even the most health-conscious got tired of eating a salad or wrap every other day. Fixing school lunches could go a LONG way to fixing a great many problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh. I totally agree. Sometimes I see the lunch board and grimace. This coming from the fast food queen. ;) But I'm an adult and make my own bad decisions. Haha. I agree that this is a serious issue though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen what's going on in some schools now? They're saying that parents don't pack healthy lunches and aren't allowing home made lunches any more. Not cool!

    Here's an article I saw on it.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/wire/ct-met-school-lunch-restrictions-041120110410,0,5869022.story

    ReplyDelete